3ply

Windows 10 tips/tricks

Postby 3ply » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:06 pm

I found this trick for turning off the automatic updates:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3085136/ ... dates.html

3ply

Re: Windows 10 tips/tricks

Postby 3ply » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:07 pm

I was able to do this on my work computer. My home computer is running Windows 10 Home and I'm unable to turn off the automatic updates. Dam Microsoft!!!

The reason this is important is that I render stuff on both computers and it may take 1 hour - 24hrs to complete. If there is an update it reboots the computer during the rendering and I lose everything. This just happen last Thursday while both machines were rendering. My deadline was the next morning. Windows 10 needs to fix this!! I'm starting to hate windows 10! (sorry Acid :P)

infntnub

Postby infntnub » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:52 am

My pc lets me decide when it reboots to install updates, don't you have that option?

Updates are the least of your worries with W10 - all kinds of privacy invasions.

Check for youtube tips/tricks.. I turned a lot of nonsense off in advanced settings.

I would suggest doing the same. :mrgreen:

3ply

Postby 3ply » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:42 pm

I can have it reboot after hours but the problem is that my computer could be rendering after hours. How about an option don't reboot until I say so!!

infntnub

Postby infntnub » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:57 pm

3ply wrote:I can have it reboot after hours but the problem is that my computer could be rendering after hours. How about an option don't reboot until I say so!!

I have been delaying an update for over 2 weeks, presently. Sounds sufficient for your situation.

When I shut down i constantly see the option to "shut down and update" but I keep choosing "shut down". :D

The odd thing is this is how my W10 has worked from the start - I never changed any update settings to allow me to keep pushing them off.

Did you mess with your update options that is causing it to do this?

3ply

Postby 3ply » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:43 pm

I never changed any update settings. I feel windows 10 is very buggy. Most of our work computers are running windows 10 now. Some computers are still updating to the anniversary update that was forced out 2 weeks ago. Our IT guy really hates windows 10. So many issues with computers crashing and needing to reinstall windows.

infntnub

Postby infntnub » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:21 am

So.. just an update for you, 3.

Windows finally forced me to update. :lol:

I wouldn't advise on putting these off weeks like I did; that shit literally took over 30 minutes to download and install. It also cycled through multiple reboots, lol.

Good thing I wasn't in any sort of hurry...

Acid

Postby Acid » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:10 am

As with everything your mileage may vary. For me Windows 10 is the most stable version I've ever used and I've used most of them (3.1, 95, 98, NT, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8.1) . The only issue I have is with Quake Live crashing every night but I believe that is a problem with either my QL config or the AMD video driver.

I do wish Windows 10 handled updates better.

view

Postby view » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:58 pm

Yeah - that update hit every installation pretty hard. My desktop and tablet both had to do the same multiple-restart-shuffle.

It has been stable for me, but I still miss Win7. That bitch was rock-solid and wasn't trying to force-feed me Cortana, or littering my start menu with "suggested apps" (AKA invasive advertising...which I did turn off, eventually).

It's much better for my tablet though. They clearly went in with the intent to do a better job supporting touch interfaces, but they somehow decided not to include gesture-typing. They have/had a great keyboard called "Word Flow" for windows phone, and they won't let it work w/ Win10. Fail.

infntnub

Postby infntnub » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:22 am

View - you know you can remove all that clutter from your start menu, right?

I literally have 2 icons on mine. But yeah.. Cortana is f'n annoying as shit.

Return to “Everything Else”