The Future of PC Gaming?

Discussions about everything else
Acid

The Future of PC Gaming?

Postby Acid » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:24 pm

Project Helix: Microsoft's Universal platform will unify gaming on Xbox and Windows
https://www.neowin.net/news/project-helix-microsofts-universal-platform-will-unify-gaming-on-xbox-and-windows

Discuss

3ply

Re: The Future of PC Gaming?

Postby 3ply » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:01 pm

so the idea is to code a game that works on both platforms right? I thought the xbox was running some type of windows OS. Code the game for a PC and install windows 10 on the xbox.

Acid

Postby Acid » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:05 pm

XBox One is Windows 10 at its core, so a UWP program can run on it and on a Windows 10 PC.

view

Postby view » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:00 pm

Interesting article. After seeing that Surface Studio - it gives me a little hope that they MIGHT not fuck it up. Thing is - their competition is Steam. Steam can, and will, adjust as needed to devalue whatever MS comes up with. Gabe has been eating and breathing this type of platform for years and essentially owns PC gaming as a result.

If Microsoft can resist over-charging for games while not force their other exclusive products down our throats, it might work. Otherwise, they'll need a SERIOUSLY compelling feature to get anyone to leave steam. (I know you'll be able to run both if you want - but who will bother if all their gaming needs are already met on steam, right?)

If I were MS in this situation - I'd purchase Discord and work all of it's functionality into that platform. Also a game streaming service like Twitch (or just build their own). Discord's slick design / compatibility with mobile OS's / ease of use / community-type features PLUS live game streaming that "just worked" ? Now THAT would be compelling.

Edit: Clearly, I should be running microsoft. https://www.destructoid.com/microsoft-purchases-its-own-twitch-competitor-380196.phtml

2nd Edit: Also include everything they've learned w/ skype (codecs & whatnot) and incorporate the option to vidchat within said platform if you choose)

Return to “Everything Else”